It was only a matter of time, I suppose. Everywhere I go, there is someone coughing, sniffling, sneezing. Mostly cold germs, a few flu bugs, but I’ve stood strong and fought them all off. Until now. BB came down with the beginnings of a cold 2 days ago. He probably picked it up in the hospital (more on that later). I woke up early this morning with my throat on fire. Here we go. To top it all off, we got a few inches of snow overnight. Luckily, it wasn’t heavy wet snow. Shovelling the driveway this morning worked up a sweat. I’m told that’s good for a cold. Or is that a fever?
Socks and mitts for the Canadian War Museum exhibit went out a couple of weeks ago. I fell deeply in love with the finished mitts.
The yarn was wonderful to work with and so very warm. Much as I’ll miss them, I’m happy to let them go to someone who’ll need them more than I.
I had cast on a wee shawl back in September but hadn’t got past the stockinette start. Once i figured out where I’d left off, it practically knit itself. Here’s the beginning; it’s been off the needles for a number of days but hasn’t been blocked yet. You’ll need to bear with me before you can see what it really looks like.
(Live Oak Shawlette by Romi Hill, in Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk Paints, Forest Glen)
BB had knee replacement surgery last weekend, which is why he was in hospital (getting sick, obviously). He’s recovering well but starting to get a little stir-crazy, I think. Only 9-11 more weeks of recovery and rehab! And me? Well, I’ve been working and knitting and fetching what can’t be carried while one is operating a walker. And knitting some more.
There’s been a lovely skein of Anzula Cricket in my stash, waiting for the perfect time to evolve. I won it a while back from Grace Akhrem, designer extraordinaire, and loved it so much I couldn’t use it (this may only make sense to a knitter; the rest of you may disregard). Until earlier this week. Now, I’m wearing it (or a portion of it) on my hands.
(Swirling Gauntlets by Susanna IC, in Anzula Cricket, Grace)
The original (free!) pattern is thumbless and a completely naked thumb always makes me feel awkward, so I covered it up. It was just a matter of picking up the cast off/on stitches and knitting up a little 1×1 rib. I only used about 40 g of yarn for these so I’m thinking of eventually making another pair of fingerless gloves with the rest.
But first, it’s been a while since I’ve knit a pair of socks just for me and there’s a skein of Raventwist Tyr calling to me from the back of the sock yarn cupboard. I’ll have to dig it out and ask it what it wants to be. I’m thinking something ‘fancy’, and just hoping I’m not too sick to concentrate on charts. I’ll let you know.